Friday, June 5, 2009

To Ava, on Your First Birthday

Dear Ava,

Today we celebrated your first year here with us. And what a year it’s been.

Somehow, we got from here:







To here:







Really, really fast.

Before you were born, I was afraid of being a mommy. I wasn’t sure I had enough love or patience to be the kind of mother a baby deserved. I didn’t have a cuddly, nurturing mom. My mother didn’t kiss boo-boos, she wasn’t a hugger or any of that stuff. Didn’t mean she was a bad mother, it’s just who she was. I wasn’t sure I knew how to do that stuff.

And then you were born. Your Daddy placed you in my arms, and my heart exploded with love. From that very instant, I knew that I would love and protect you with every fiber of my being.

You’ve made it easy for me to be your Mommy. I look at you and I see such a wonderful, beautiful, happy little girl. You’ve always been that way.

In the last year, I’ve watched you grow from newborn, to crawling infant, and just today to walking toddler. Every step, every milestone has made me so proud. You have such a zest for life. Absolutely no fear. Every morning, you wake up with a smile, ready to face the day.

I love watching you develop and grow. I delight in watching you discover the world around you. I revel in watching you dance and sway to your favorite music. You have brought me joy that truly cannot be measured in words. Your laugh is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. Seeing your face is the very best part of every single day.

Nothing in this world will ever make me prouder than you. We have just begun our journey, my love. For the rest of my life, I will be here with you. I will always be your mommy. And you will always be my baby girl.

Happy Birthday, Angel.

2 comments: